Sunday 29 April 2007

Dinner with friends


It's interesting that in Jesus' ministry he chose as one of his focal activities to eat with people. It caused quite a stir actually, in that the poeple he chose to eat with were the moral outcasts.
More than just eating with 'sinners', Jesus made it quite clear that these meals were an anticipation of the great celebration meal of God's returning to his people.
My wife and I shared dinner recently with some close friends. We are all followers of Jesus, and I must admit that as we gathered together, in a celebration of all God has given to us as friends, fellow disciples and human beings it felt like God's kingdom was indeed upon us.
I can't help though, at times such as these, thinking about all those who went hungry that night... who will go hungry tonight! I also can't help thinking of all those who hear Jesus invitation to come to him and eat of the bread of life, who gorge themselves only on the grains 'under the sun'. I mourn for those who are too busy to rsvp to the wedding banquet. When will we see the kingdom come?

No comments: