Saturday 14 April 2007

Phews 7: Fri, 04 May 2001.

I was reminded by Scott that I used to publish a newsletter called 'Phews-Phil's news'. I have another mate, shamus, who has collected up a number of the Phews editions. So, indebted to these brothers, I give you some classic Phews.

IDOLATORY>>
I wondered to myself the other day what was it in my life that could potentially become an idol. As I pondered it got me thinking about what people my age pursue, in general, most in life. I think the great idol of our time is Lifestyle. What I mean by that is a combination of money, possessions, satisfaction, food, health, friends etc. I think that people these days don't want to be filthy rich, or have a huge house, or drive a $100,000 car, or have the most friends or... They want some comfortable combination of the lot. Thus some people may live in a shack to satisfy their desired lifestyle, some may forego a car so that they can eat at restaurants every week, or others may forego possessions so that they can afford to travel... I think that this is an insidious idol because we can convince ourselves that we are not being extravagant, or we can focus on things we are giving up to make ourselves feel righteous, while at the same time still pursuing our lifestyle with incredible commitment. Any thoughts?

5 comments:

AndrewE said...

Good to see Phews is back! I loved Phews in its heyday...

I think you should also post the Phews updates on your cricket team.

Philip Britton said...

Erro,

Do you want current cricket results (we will need to wait til next summer), or Phews archive cricket results?

AndrewE said...

either. they were great. but it might slow your traffic a bit.

Laura T said...

I always empathised with Tocquevilles assessment of the 18thC Frenchman "far more interested in living beautifully than in comfort, in making a name for themselves than making money." My idols may not be as crass as the widescreen TV and European car, but that doesn't make God any happier that they are usurping his place in the centre of my attentions.

Jill said...

Can I refer you to a short video clip I found which expresses so well our pursuit of all things shiny and gold. (I love this clip and I'm using it at Sunday School this week).
Think you'll need to copy and paste link into your browser - sorry

http://christiancliparts.net/viewclip.php?id=a060101