Wednesday 25 April 2007

Phews 12: Fri, 08 Jun 2001.

PASSING AWAY:
A guy from my year at school was killed in a car accident a week ago. I, along with 90 others from the year attended his funeral service on wednesday. It was one of the saddest experiences of my short life. I watched the tears of a family whose hopes and dreams are shattered. I watched the disillusionment in the eyes of my peers. A life tragically ended, and a church full of people left without answers.
I found myself trying to rationalise this situation, to understand what was happening, what had happened. At the same time I was wary of the error of Job's companions, being too quick to express false wisdom. Where are you God?
Later, by grace, I was reminded of Jesus answer to similar questions when quizzed by His peers. He reminded them of their sinfulness and the necessity to repent. For we are sinful people, living in a fallen world and these are signs that it is passing away. Oh, how I am reminded when I think of those tears in the Trinity chapel last wednesday, or when I think of the hundreds of children who will die of starvation by the time my head touches the pillow tonight, or when I think of a nation thrown into turmoil by the malicious killing of its royal family... or when I think of the pain I cause my friends and family, the harshness of my tongue and the evil in my heart. May God have mercy on us all, in Him alone will I hope.

No comments: