Saturday 21 July 2007

Seek first

Matthew 6:31-34.

"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."


These verses have been so central in my life. In particular during my university years, they were like my compass in navigating decisions and choices. I don't necessarily live up to the challenge (see previous 'shaped by scripture' post), but my guide and standard they remain.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Whilst it seems that Jesus may be rebuking his followers for chasing after the things of this world rather than seeking spiritual things, I am encouraged by the parallel passage in Luke 12: 22-31. Well actually it's verse 32 I like the most "Do not be afraid little flock, for you Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom".

He knows we are afraid. We are the little sheep of his pasture. He protects us. He knows our needs. And he provides in abundance.

Philip Britton said...

Indeed he does.

"Do not be afraid" are very great words to hear from Almighty God, aren't they.