Thursday 17 May 2007

Don't burn the day - II

I think that biblical christianity maintains that this creation is deeply good. Waterfalls, hummingbirds, tasty food, motherhood, companionship, beaches, rainforests, planets, constellations...
It is good because a good God made it, and declared it to be so. It is good because Jesus - the God-Man - dwelt within it and affirmed it in Ressurection.

In that sense Onfray and Dave Matthews are right to join in a pointed criticism of anyone who would not celebrate the goodness around us.
But you can't help but think that this is not the whole picture. Sure when looking at people and the world around us one must exclaim 'Good', but to be sure this must be followed with 'Not Good!'.
Oil spills, malaria, wars, famines, HIV, domestic violence, paedophilia...

Onfray and Dave Matthews fail to see how the powerful effect of this 'Not good' means that the experience of pleasures realised, passions fulfilled, dancing etc. are beyond the reach of so many in this world. I suspect this represents a certain self interest and apathy towards the 'Not good'. Praying for something more from above is an appropriate response for those embroiled in the effects of 'Not good'.

It is the assumption of 'Good' and the apprehension of 'Not good' that drives the desire for renewal. Renewal, not destruction. Biblical Christianity certainly affirms the continuity of this world and the world to come. But, truly apprending 'Not good' (let alone experiencing it!), demands that it be ended, put away, shut up... Thankfully, Biblical Christianity is full of the affirmation that this will happen (is happening!); that the world to come is discontinuous with this world.

To give Dave Matthews some credit, he offers a way forward... Love. He claims the poweful effect of Love can bring change, renewal. It think he's right. I wonder whether he realises that living out Love in a world full of 'Not good' is exactly what Jesus did. It led him to a certain confrontation, however.
Are we prepared to acknowledge and own that.

2 comments:

Scott M said...

Great post Phil.

I really appreciate the way you have structured this response.

You've reminded me just how important it is to let the Bible truly shape our world view.

If we are not reading our Bibles continually then we will quickly adopt secular world views, or false Christian views (eg religious legalism, asceticism etc)

Reading the Bible informs our understanding of who God is, and who we are in relationship to him.

When we start looking at the world through this Biblical lens we start to see those aspects of creation that God wants us to take pleasure in, and those that he does not.

I think that as we take up God's command to love, we actually begin to find pleasure in serving others, rather than in serving ourselves.

And as we do this more and more we start to take more and more pleasure in pleasing God himself.

This, however, is truly a foolish message to those who are perishing...

Philip Britton said...

Psalm 119:12ff. puts it this way;

"How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Praise be to you, O LORD;
teach me your decrees.
With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.
I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word."

By the way, awesome photo of yourself!