Sunday 16 March 2008

Top Five - Opening songlines...

I love listening to song lyrics. The first lines of a song can be poignant, witty or funny. They can instantly create a scene or tone. Here are some of my favourites.


1. Dave Matthews Band, Dreamgirl:
I would dig a hole all the way to China
unless of course I was there
Then I'd dig my way home
If by diggin I could steal... the wind from the sails
Of the greedy men who rule the world


2. Counting Crows, Round Here:
Step out the front door like a ghost into a fog
Where no one notices the contrast of white on white
And in between the moon and you the angels get a better view
Of the crumbling difference between wrong and right


3. Bruce Springsteen, Born in the USA:
Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up


4. Eagles, Take it easy:
Well, I'm running down the road
Tryin to loosen my load
Ive got seven women on
My mind,
Four that wanna own me,
Two that wanna stone me,
One says shes a friend of mine


5. Bryan Adams, Summer of '69:
I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played 'til my fingers bled
It was summer of '69




Other worthy contenders:
U2, Where the streets have no name.
Pearl Jam, Daughter.
Jon Bon Jovi, Blaze of Glory.
Bruce Springsteen, Thunder Road.
Cold Chisel, Khe Sanh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few thoughts...

"There must be some kinda' way out of here...
Said the joker to the theif..."
- Hendrix

"Tommy used to work on the docks..."
- Jon Bon

"Please allow me to introduce myself,
I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
- Stones