Wednesday 14 November 2007

The end of the matter

Ecclesiates is one of my favourite books of the bible. I find that it clears away much of the dross that can confuse my perspective on life. I call it biblical existentialism; it reminds me that there can be pleasure in simple things; that there are rhythms to life that should be expected and accepted; that there are things I will never fully comprehend, and ultimately that I am accountable to God.

Here is the teacher's final words.

Ecclesiates 12:13-14.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil. Have you heard Al Stewart's recent talks on Ecclesiastes. Really good. Your post reminded me of them.

The talks formed the basis of his new book "Men. Firing through all of life". This is a really simple read, but really helpful I think for us male folk.

Anyway, hope you are well. Catch up with you soon.