Monday 22 June 2009

Top five - aussie beers

Beer is one of the great joys in life. The variety produced by Australian brewers has never been better. Unfortunately australians and their beer have historically been famous only in terms of quantity consumed, but I'm happy to say that for me and these brewers quality is the main focus. Here is my top five.

1. Barons - Wattle seed ale.
The 'brave boys at barons' produce this outstanding dark ale as part of their native range. Caramel, coffee, wholesome.

2. Moo Brew - Wheat beer.
This boutique Tasmanian brewery produces this fantastic cloudy wheat beer. Smooth, creamy with a hint of citrus.

3. Outback Brewery - Pale Ale.
There are plenty of great aussie pale ales. I'm not suggesting that this is the best, but it is a little known Gem. Fruity, fragrant, sharp.

4. Coopers - Sparkling Ale.
The first aussie beer that really made me lick my lips. It sparkles in flavour, but the beer itself is cloudy. Hoppy, bitey, refreshing.

5. Gage Roads - Premium Lager.
Again, how to choose 1 Premium Lager from all those on offer (and some would call me un-Australian for not choosing Crown), but this is something special. Tight, a hint of sweetness, cool and clean.


Others that could easily have made it:
James Squires - Amber Ale.
Little Creatures - Pale Ale.
McClaren Vale brewing Co - Vale Ale.
Barons - Lager.

No comments: